AgriFutures Australia currently has two positions open to growers and/or consultants with direct experience in ginger production. Processors with experience in ginger production systems are also encouraged to apply.
About the Ginger Program
The AgriFutures Ginger Program invests in research, development and extension (RD&E) that supports a sustainable, growing and prosperous industry supplying a high-quality product strongly sought after in Australia and around the world.
AgriFutures Australia receives the ginger levy to invest in line with the industry objectives of the five-year RD&E plan. The Ginger Program RD&E Plan 2017-2022 has three main objectives:
- Drive on-farm productivity – improve industry pest and disease management, harness innovative technology and facilitate adoption of clean certified seed
- Lift the demand for Australian ginger – invest in brand and market research to improve farm business returns
- Encourage industry engagement – communicate research outputs, assist industry with research adoption, build industry capacity and develop investment and implementation partnerships.
About the Advisory Panel
The Advisory Panel currently consists of growers and research scientists with a range of skills and experience in the production and research sectors of the ginger industry, together with a representative from AgriFutures Australia.
The Advisory Panel, in partnership with AgriFutures Australia, provides recommendations on the allocation of research, development and extension funding for the AgriFutures Australia Ginger Program.
Members of the Advisory Panel are also given the opportunity to attend AgriFutures Australia initiatives such as evokeAG. , AgriFutures Australia Summit, as well as engage with the broader AgriFutures Australia family including Rural Women’s Award finalists, Horizon scholars and Advisory Panel members from AgriFutures Australia’s levied industries.
Advisory Panel Expectations
Advisory Panel members will be expected to prioritise and attend a maximum of four Advisory Panel meetings each calendar year, plus additional AgriFutures Australia meetings and training sessions as required (maximum two per year). These are held in varying locations, across Australia, or via videoconference at the discretion of AgriFutures Australia, the program manager and the Advisory Panel.
Advisory Panel members are expected to attend meetings fully prepared, having read all discussion papers and completed all pre meeting activities such as assessment of preliminary and full research proposals. Adequate preparation will enable a proper level of participation in the meeting discussion, ensuring appropriate investment decisions are made on behalf of the industry.
The expectation for preparation and attendance could be up to 20 days per year including interstate travel.
Members of the Advisory Panel will be recompensed for their services to AgriFutures Australia at rates determined by the Commonwealth’s Remuneration Tribunal. Advisory Panel members are entitled to sitting fees for meetings and travel expenses. Please note that Advisory Panels do not hold financial delegations.
Members of Industry Advisory Panels will be appointed by the Managing Director of AgriFutures Australia following a competitive skills-based assessment. The term of appointment of Panel members will initially be for three years.
Advisory Panel members are required to declare any Conflicts of Interests and sign a Confidentiality Agreement with AgriFutures Australia.
AgriFutures Ginger Program Advisory Panel Member roles / responsibilities
The key functions of AgriFutures Australia Industry Advisory Panels are to:
- Advise AgriFutures Australia on the current state of the industry, and its RD&E requirements.
- Provide recommendations on short-listed research applications consistent with the research priorities identified in the AgriFutures Australia Ginger 5-Year RD&E plan.
- Advise on and assist with the dissemination, adoption and commercialisation of R&D.
- Encourage industry voluntary contributions and co-investment by other stakeholders to support industry RD&E.
Applications close 12 noon (AEDT) Thursday, 8 October 2020.
Lucinda.Staley@agrifutures.com.au | 0448 401 717