This document is a revised AgriFutures Thoroughbred Horses Program Strategic RD&E Plan (2017-2022). The Plan was revised following a mid-term review in 2020.
The goal of the Program is to invest in RD&E that improves the sustainability, productivity, and competitiveness of the Australian thoroughbred industry. The program supports an efficient breeding system that aims to reduce the average number of serves per pregnancy, increase live foals delivered per mare covered, and increase the DNA parentage count confirmed each year. The industry values durable horses with long racing careers.
The Plan is structured around five priorities:
1. Enhanced welfare and safety of thoroughbred horses, those who work with them and the sustainability of the industry.
2. Improved breeding outcomes and foal health and development.
3. Reduced incidence and impact of diseases and parasites in horses.
4. Industry training and Program communication and extension supported.
5. The industry’s economic contribution and its market are understood, and additional RD&E resources secured.