An assessment of the population and farm gate value of Australian dairy goats
AusVet Pty Ltd
Project code: PRJ-010272
Project stage: Closed
Project start date: Friday, February 24, 2017
Project completion date: Thursday, June 1, 2017
National Priority: NAP-Enhance industry success through targeted industry-specific RD&E
The Australian dairy goat industry makes a small but important contribution to the health and wealth of Australians but little is formally known of this emerging industry. An enhanced understanding of the dairy goat industry will assist industry leaders to guide the strategic direction of the industry and lobby for the benefit of the industry. A fundamental piece of information required is the current population of dairy goats, the value of production and possible future production trends.
A questionnaire survey will be designed (with assistance from an industry steering group workshop) and administered online, by phone and by post. The survey will cover producer location and producer demographics, goat demographics, farm gate production data, expected future changes and gauging interest in a dedicated levy body.
The steering group will assist AusVet in identifying the approximately 80 commercial dairy goat producers believed to exist, including producers about to begin production. These commercial producers will be individually contacted to ensure that all (or nearly all) producers are surveyed ensuring that the industry undergoes a near census. These producers will also be queried to determine their milk processor and the milk processor will be approached to determine the liters of dairy milk processed annually.
A brief study design will be outlined that aims to investigate the total value of the dairy goat industry on the Australian economy.
An accessible report will be produced for industry summarising the research. This will also be written as a manuscript for submission to a peer reviewed journal.
New and Emerging Animal Industries
AusVet Pty Ltd
1. Estimate the population and farm gate value of the Australian dairy goat herd that produces food for human consumption
2. Determine the approximate liters of dairy goat milk processed in Australia annually.
3. Outline a future study to estimate the total value of the dairy goat sector in Australia.
1. A description of dairy goat population and demographics.
This will include spatial (GIS/mapping), descriptive and textual descriptions. Information on farm location, size, goat population and products will be collected. This data will be presented anonymously.
2. An estimate of the farm gate value of dairy goat milk for food/human consumption.
3. An estimate of the number of liters of dairy goat milk processed annually in Australia.
4. A document outlining a future study that would seek to estimate the total value of the dairy goat sector to the Australian economy (including retail sales and manufacturing of product).