This project will develop three courses that will utilise experts in various areas of welfare and factors that contribute to welfare. Courses will comprise of one or more subjects. Each subject will comprise of a combination of an explainer video or photo, a text article and a quiz.
The courses will be published on a website and will be available free of charge to all industry participants.
Thoroughbred Breeders Australia
The platform will launch in November 2022.
Course topics will focus on animal welfare and horse handling skills that contribute to horse welfare. Course topics will be determined after consultation with industry and may include; Handling and restraining horses safely; Introduction to notifiable diseases; Identifying diseases and illnesses; Identifying Injuries and Lameness; Quarantine and Biosecurity; Using personal protective equipment (PPE); Providing a safe premises for the horses.
The online learning portal will spearhead a move towards more formalised training for staff on breeding farms in the area of animal welfare.
The online learning portal supports the AgriFutures Thoroughbred Horse Program priorities of:
• Enhanced welfare and safety of thoroughbred horses, those who work with them and the sustainability of the industry and,
• Industry training and Program communication and extension.
Providing accessible, entry-level education in animal welfare will:
• improve animal welfare outcomes as employees will have a better understanding of the animal welfare expectations of the industry
• will help retain employees in the industry by giving employees the confidence to better perform their jobs which in turn will increase job satisfaction and length of employment in the industry
• help farms achieve optimal fertility and breeding rates due to employees being able to better understand how the horse’s health and environment effects their wellbeing and productivity
• help increase the economic viability of the industry by decreasing the costs associated with horse and human incidents.
Project Start Date
Thursday, July 14, 2022
Project Completion Date
Sunday, January 29, 2023
HOR-Promote education, training and communication for the horse industry