Optimizing genetics, reproduction and nutrition of dairy sheep and goats.
Project code: PRJ-002551
Project stage: Closed
Project start date: Friday, August 15, 2008
Project completion date: Monday, March 31, 2014
National Priority: NAP-Enhance industry success through targeted industry-specific RD&E
New and Emerging Animal Industries
1. Devise genetic selection criteria that increase profitability by reducing milking time, and increasing longevity, rather than focusing solely on milk production per head.
2. Determine optimum growth curves and optimum age and weight at first joining in dairy lambs and kids.
3. Determine the optimum lactation length in goats.
4. Determine how to manipulate photoperiod to increase milk production in sheep and goats.
5. Determine how to maximize the intake of energy as whole grain and conserved grass (hay and silage) while minimizing the incidence of acidosis in goats.