AgriFutures has a clear vision to grow the long-term prosperity of Australian agriculture to create thriving rural industries and vibrant regional communities. AgriFutures Industry Advisory Panels play a fundamental role in this. They provide strategic investment advice to AgriFutures. These recommendations guide research, development and extension (RD&E) projects and assist rural industries to be productive, profitable, and sustainable.
About the Advisory Panels
The Advisory Panels consist of people with a range of skills and experience in production, processing, research, or commercial service provision within the respective Program industry, together with representatives from AgriFutures Australia.
The key functions of AgriFutures Australia Industry Advisory Panels are to:
- Advise AgriFutures on the current state of the industry and its RD&E requirements.
- Provide recommendations on short-listed research applications consistent with the research priorities identified in the Program’s Strategic RD&E Plan.
- Advise on and assist with the dissemination, adoption, and commercialisation of R&D.
- Encourage industry voluntary contributions and co-investment by other stakeholders to support industry RD&E.
About the Advisory Panel Chair
The Chair of the Advisory Panel is a pivotal role in providing guidance and governance into the function of the Panel thereby, providing both Agrifutures and the industry with the confidence that the RD&E Program is delivering against industry priorities and value to levy payers.
The primary objectives of this role are to:
- Work closely with the AgriFutures Australia Senior Manager, Research to develop meeting agendas and report outcomes of meetings back to the Advisory Panel members.
- Chair effective Advisory Panel meetings that support an open and transparent decision-making process in accordance with the AgriFutures Australia procurement policy.
- Ensure the strategic direction of the Program is maintained.
- Ensure that stakeholder interests are accurately represented to the Advisory Panel.
- Ensure that all Panel decisions are understood by Panel members and accurately recorded.
- Applicants without relevant tea tree oil experience will not be considered.
Advisory Panel Chair expectations
The Advisory Panel Chair will be expected to:
- Actively engage with AgriFutures Australia and prioritise attendance at Advisory Panel meetings, plus additional AgriFutures Australia meetings and training sessions as required. The expectation for preparation and attendance could be up to 30 days per year, including interstate travel.
- Be available outside Advisory Panel meetings for regular correspondence with Agrifutures Australia.
- Attend meetings fully prepared, having read all discussion papers and completed all pre-meeting activities. Adequate preparation will enable a proper level of participation
- In the meeting discussion, ensure appropriate investment decisions are made on behalf of the industry.