The Riverina Project-Wool Producers Marketing Wool to the Consumer
Diana Gibbs is a wool producer and cofounder and director of Riverina Wool Growers. RWG was established in 1994 for the purpose of expanding and deepening wool producers activities to include sourcing wool, wool yarns and woollen products to its own design and specifications and directly marketing the final apparel products.
Diana’s vision was for Australian wool producers to take more responsibility and control of their product by becoming more closely linked to their markets.
The objectives of her overall project were for a group of wool producers, RWG, to form a commercial operation that would:
- Develop, produce and market a collection of high quality, branded woolen garments.
- Deliver these garments to a carefully defined market via a multi-channel approach.
- Create significant sales revenue and sufficient profits to provide a consistent commercial return for all partners.
The project in doing so would also:
- Create a successful joint venture partnership between RWG and representatives of the Wiradjuri people.
- Create a world class wool textile supply chain.
- Support education and training opportunities for the Wiradjuri people.
Her proposed activity represented the first critical step in the total project, that being to prepare a Business Plan to define and describe the wool marketing venture. The bursary was used to finance the Business Plan and also contributed to some preliminary promotional material, including media information kits presented at the Olympic Games in September 2000 and information produced for marketing investigations into the UK in October 2000.
The Business Plan was prepared in late 2000/early 2001 and was reviewed by independent consultants to ensure its objectivity and rigor. The Business Plan addressed key components of the project, including business background, vision, products, the market and marketing plan, business operations, ownership and management, risk factors along with financial considerations. A careful investigation of the demographics of the potential market available in the UK was undertaken to define the project’s target consumers and total available market.