The Gary Sansom Scholarship is a postgraduate scholarship designed specifically to support the AgriFutures Chicken Meat Program industry priorities.
The Gary Sansom Scholarship aims to uncover future chicken meat industry supporters and leaders, providing funding and a wealth of support to help students make their mark on the industry right from the beginning.
Worth up to $35,000 (over three years or the length of the degree), the prestigious Gary Sansom Scholarship will seek to identify high quality students, foster a career pathway in the chicken meat industry and support industry relevant research.
This Scholarship was established in honour of former AgriFutures Chicken Meat Advisory Panel Chair and Australian Chicken Meat Federation President, Gary Sansom, who himself was a great leader of the chicken meat industry. Mr Sansom was a long-standing supporter of programs encouraging new people into the chicken meat industry and championed several communication and training initiatives vital to the industry. This Scholarship in his name aims to do just that, encourage new people into the chicken meat industry and support them to build a thriving career in the industry.
Each scholar is provided with support and opportunities:
- Attendance at poultry industry conferences
- An industry supervisor (coordinated by AgriFutures Australia) who will provide study and career pathway support
- Career pathway assistance post-scholarship and studies; AgriFutures Chicken meat Program will assist the scholar in making contact with industry members in areas where the scholar is interested in pursuing a career, as well as providing networking opportunities throughout the scholarship period.
The Scholarship will support Mr Sansom’s vision for the industry – to ensure it is valued and respected by all sectors and the Australian community and aims to develop leadership in the research community.
Who can apply
The successful candidate will be a broad thinker; someone who wants to contribute to the Australian chicken meat industry long term. We are looking for people who want to make a difference to the chicken meat industry by conducting research which can be readily applied by the industry. We are also looking for people who want to contribute to the industry by providing leadership in the future.
Applicants must be an Australian citizen or resident and enrolled or eligible to enrol at an Australian University undertaking postgraduate study (PhD, Masters or Honours degree or equivalent). In addition, students must be willing to have a member of the Australian chicken meat industry as a supervisor and have a desire to contribute to the Australian chicken meat industry in the long term.
Students and industry professionals with an interest in, and commitment to, the chicken meat industry are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Applicants must be an Australian citizen or resident and enrolled at an Australian University undertaking postgraduate study (PhD, Masters or Honours degree or equivalent). In addition, students must be willing to have a member of the Australian chicken meat industry as a supervisor and have a desire to contribute to the Australian chicken meat industry in the long term.
The successful scholar may study part-time if undertaken in conjunction with a current industry position. They may also hold a postgraduate award (that would be rescinded if successful), but be no more than halfway through the chosen course of study. The award is also available to future students, who have not begun their postgraduate studies but are eligible for enrolment in the chosen degree.
As part of the application process students are required to outline why you want to contribute to the Australian chicken meat industry, and what you want to gain from undertaking postgraduate study. Two referees must be nominated to support the application.
Applications for the 2024 Gary Sansom Scholarship have now closed.
As well as meeting all requirements of the Scholarship, students will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Academic achievement
- AgriFutures Chicken Meat Program and industry alignment
- Research proposal and design
- Benefits to the chicken meat industry
Successful Student Requirements
The successful student will be required to:
- Remain enrolled in the student’s degree;
- Maintain a full-time enrolment. If any study is undertaken below or above full-time enrolment in a semester (including summer and winter sessions), the student is required to seek approval from AgriFutures Australia;
- Remain eligible for a Commonwealth Supported place at the University (this means the student must be an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian Permanent Humanitarian or Permanent Resident visa) and be residing in Australia;
- Achieve a credit average standard of academic progress. The student must provide copies of academic transcripts showing academic results each semester to AgriFutures Australia and acknowledges that AgriFutures Australia may verify any of the student’s results with the University at any time. If the student fails one or more units, the student is required to contact AgriFutures Australia immediately;
- Attend poultry conferences facilitated by AgriFutures;
- Promote the aims, ideals and objectives of AgriFutures Australia and of the Scholarship;
- Ensure positive recognition and linkages to AgriFutures Australia via personal and project social medial platform;
- Submit academic progress reports to AgriFutures Australia within one month after the end of each semester.
AgriFutures Australia scholarships are tenable for 3 years’ study at an Australian University or the length of the degree (for example, the remainder of a partially completed degree, 2 years for a 2-year Masters’ Degree or more than 3 years if the student has sought and received approval from AgriFutures Australia to study part-time or take leave in accordance with this Agreement).
Coordinator, Levied & Emerging Industries – Chicken Meat
0447 036 709
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Honours students able to apply for the scholarship?
Yes, Honours students will be considered for the scholarship of all other requirements are met.