The Horse Program Completed Projects 2010–2011 and Research in Progress at June 2011 contains short summaries of continuing projects as well as those that were completed during 2010–2011. The Horse Program’s goal is to be nationally and internationally recognised for its excellence as a reputable user and supplier of quality horses, products and services, and for the industry to expand in the global market by having the requisite skills and knowledge for efficient, profitable and sustainable production.
The objectives of the Horse Program are to:
• Reduce the incidence and impact of diseases and parasites in horses
• Reduce injury and breakdown of horses in work and training
• Improve productivity in breeding
• Improve the safety of industry participants and the welfare of horses, and enhance the environmental sustainability of the industry
• Promote the quality, quantity and effective communication of R&D for the horse industry.