About the program
The Carbon Initiative Program is a $2 million investment across 15 projects to explore novel approaches to carbon storage, greenhouse gas emission reduction and emission avoidance, as well as methods to drive awareness, overcome barriers and develop market pathways for farmers, fishers and foresters.
Each of the 15 projects have been grouped into the below six themes:
- Innovative and novel solutions (e.g. Technologies and practices) for storing carbon or reducing or avoiding greenhouse gas emissions in agriculture, fisheries or forestry businesses
- Evaluation of cooperative models under a carbon market as a method of increased engagement and uptake by producers, including exploring new or augmented approaches
- Market development pathways for producers—from identifying policy and regulatory barriers, to exploring new models and corporate partnerships e.g. Evolving consumer and retailer expectations and corporate, social and governance (CSG) responsibilities
- Novel approaches to identifying, developing and commercialising co-benefits from carbon farming for income diversification
- Increasing producer engagement and alignment of activities across the agricultural value chain in relation to efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Partnership opportunities for AgriFutures Australia to invest in existing projects and initiatives that directly impact agriculture, fisheries and forestry producers’ knowledge and/ or capacity to manage carbon in their business.
Cooperative models to encourage smaller producers to enter the carbon marketFind out more
Identifying barriers to carbon farming and finding solutionsFind out more
Developing and decarbonisation co-benefits from carbon farming activitiesFind out more
Increasing involvement of the entire agricultural value chain in reducing GHG emissionsFind out more
Partnership opportunities for AgriFutures Australia in existing projects.Find out more
Report calls for a crucial new perspective on career opportunities in agriculture
A new report released by AgriFutures Australia aims to understand the perceptions, knowledge and awareness of NSW teachers and careers advisors of agricultural careers and explores the support and resources needed to provide high quality and accurate advice to secondary school students.
4 min read
EMERGING INDUSTRIES / 22.11.23
Brewing new opportunities for Australia’s emerging coffee industry
Australians love their coffee, with more than six billion cups consumed annually.
4 min read
GOAT FIBRE / 21.11.23
Future Fibre Farming: Transforming Australia’s goat fibre industry
The AgriFutures Australian goat fibre extension and industry development program has just been launched with the aim of transforming the hobbyist niche into a mainstream commercial animal fibre.
4 min read
NATIONAL CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES / 20.11.23
How to break down the barriers to carbon farming
In findings that could have a profound impact on the understanding of how farmers approach carbon management, research funded by AgriFutures Australia has found they are less motivated by the allure of carbon credits than the improvement to farm productivity that comes from increasing soil organic carbon.
4 min read